Sunday, March 13, 2016

Norway Spending Billions on Cycling Highways




Did you know that a petrol dollar state that enjoys the highest standard of living in the western world is spending billions on bicycle highways?  Fjords, Ski Queen Cheese, beautiful lakes and glaciers, and now this.  If I were not so patriotic, I would move.  Varsagod!
http://www.citylab.com/cityfixer/2016/03/norway-bike-highways-billion-dollars



It's hard to cast a quiet, tall woman with an especially good haircut as a fighter for change, but Janette-Sadik-Khan did just that during her tenure as the transit boss in New York.  She remains an active fighter worth following if you believe in smart cities.
http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/mar/11/cycling-fights-new-york-mean-streets-janette-sadik-khan



Some days, when I am working on an especially intellectual project, I like to day dream and imagine I work for a bike start up, where the entire building is built for cyclists.  (In middle school I designed a house where the bedrooms were accessible by a catwalk above the heated indoor pool.  This was before I understood how moisture and structures don't always have a lasting romance.)  Well, that place, the bike place, it really exists. 


Do we really need haute couture for cycling?  I am not against it, and I am glad that it is being designed.  I prefer classic couture with my bicycle - elegant pumps, narrow dress pants.  But a capacious party jacket, or bloomers that appear unflattering to anyone under six feet tall, not so much.  Still, this design movement may just reflect demand.   Or not.
https://www.apparelnews.net/photos/2016/mar/10/104198/

So if I see you in the bike lane, whether you are in Derek Lam and Jimmy Choos, or recycled 501s and Chuck Taylors, let's be smug.
Elisa P.

No comments:

Post a Comment